10 Healthy Snacks for Weight Loss
There are many reasons we reach for a snack - we may be hungry, bored, craving something sweet or salty, or seeking a distraction. Diet-culture generally sends the message that “snacks are bad” and can sabotage your weight loss goals!
Wellory believes that this mentality can actually do more harm than good for people looking to shed pounds. Avoiding snacking to “save on calories”, even when you’re truly feeling hungry between meals, can lead to dips in blood sugar, obsessive thinking about food, irritability, and potentially overeating when the next meal finally comes around.
It is important to be mindful of hunger cues and have balanced snack options on-hand for when you feel hungry between meals. A balanced snack can also be helpful for post-workout recovery! When we say balanced, we mean whole-food snacks that have protein, complex carbohydrate, fiber, and healthy fats to support overall health and sustainable weight loss!
Some of the benefits of mindful, balanced snacking include increased energy and mental focus, less cravings later in the day, and reduction in overeating during the next meal.
Check out these 10 easy and tasty recipes for help snacking responsibly!
1. Mini Egg Frittatas These mini frittatas can be made ahead in batches for a quick, savory snack that is loaded with veggie goodness! Try these bites as a pre-workout snack for increased energy!
2. Apple Nachos
Rather than having fruit on it’s own, pairing fruit with protein and healthy fats can create a more satisfying snack that helps reduce cravings later in the day. For those who crave a good crunch, try this fun, sweet twist on nachos!
3. Spinach Hummus Chickpeas are a plant-protein-powerhouse and a great source of fiber and complex carbohydrate. Choose your favorite, raw veggies for dipping and you have a complete snack! Or, use the following chip recipe for another yummy dipping option.
4. Salt and Vinegar Cucumber Chips Are potato chips your thing? Try this easy at-home recipe for a yummy twist on the classic chip, without the processed oils and artificial flavors.
5. Loaded Avocado Toast This recipe can also be a meal, but you can make a smaller version as a yummy “mini-meal” option! To increase protein and fiber, choose a whole grain, sprouted bread like Ezekiel bread
6. 5-Minute Guacamole Snack Another great dip option for happy snacking! Choose your favorite crunchy veggie, like cucumber or jicama. To add protein, try these almond flour crackers for a satisfying crunch.
7. Fruit-on-the-Bottom Yogurt Lots of fruit flavored yogurts in the store can be loaded with processed sugar. Try this homemade version with fresh, seasonal fruit for a naturally sweetened snack. Yogurt is a great source of probiotic bacteria, which has been shown to benefit digestive health and help with weight management.
What about protein bars? Most store-bought protein bars are marketed in a way to make you think it’s a healthy option, but are actually loaded with processed sugar, artificial flavors, and chemicals that can make weight loss more difficult. Try these easy homemade protein bars for naturally sweetened, high-protein, on-the-go snacks that cost less and save on plastic packaging!
8. [Cranberry Chocolate Protein Bars](https://www.wellory.com/post/cranberry-chocolate-protein-bars/ "Cranberry Chocolate Protein Bars")
9. [No-Bake Protein Balls](https://www.wellory.com/post/no-bake-protein-balls/ "No Bake Protein Balls")
10. [Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Bar ](https://www.wellory.com/post/chocolate-peanut-butter-protein-bar/ "Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Bars")
Check out all of our healthy recipes for more inspiration. Looking for suggestions curated to your dietary needs and feedback on your current meals? Sign up for Wellory by taking our simple quiz. You'll get a personal nutritionist curated to your goals and needs.