Bali Bowls with Peanut Tofu
Bali-inspired, healthy vegan bowl filled with fresh ingredients!
Prep time: 30 minutes Cook time: 30 minutes
Great source of…
✓ Healthy fats ✓ Carbohydrates ✓ Folate ✓ Fiber ✓ Vitamins A, C, E, K, B6
- 14 oz tofu
- 1 large yam or sweet potato (cut into ¾ inch cubes)
- Olive oil
- 3/4 cup uncooked black rice
Peanut Sauce Ingredients
- 3 thin slices ginger (cut across the grain, quartered)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 3 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 –1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3/4 tsp salt
Bowl Veggie Options
- 1–2 cups cabbage, shredded
- 1–2 cups carrots, shredded
- 1–2 cups beets, shredded
- 1 cup snap peas, sliced
- 1/2 cup radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado
- 1/4 cup sprouts (sunflower, broccoli, or alfalfa)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F
- Dry and cut tofu into 2 inch squares (or 2-3 inch long strips). Place on parchment-lined sheet pan and sprinkle with salt.
- Chop yam into 3/4 inch cubes and place on other side of pan (or a separate one). Drizzle with avocado or olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Toss and place each cube evenly on the pan.
- Make peanut sauce: place all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth. Reserve 1/2 for the bowls and use remaining to coat tofu. Pour over tofu and brush tops and sides. Place in oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Boil rice in 6 cups lightly salted water until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and let sit in strainer for 5 minutes. Fluff with fork.
- Prepare veggies.
- When tofu is caramelized and sweet potatoes are fork tender, assemble bowls.
- Drizzle remaining peanut sauce or place in side dish.
- Dry tofu 2 hours ahead of time by wrapping in paper towel and placing a heavy object on top.
- Serve immediately or eat later cold. Both options are equally delicious.
- If you don't have all of the ingredients, substitute! Here are a few options:
- black rice - farro or quinoa
- peanut butter - almond butter, sunbutter, or cashew butter
- coconut aminos - GF Braggs Liquid Amino Acids or low sodium soy sauce
- maple syrup - honey