Beef & Broccoli
Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 10 minutes Servings: 4
Good source of…
✓ Protein ✓ Cobalamin ✓ Iron ✓ Vitamin C, B-6
- 1 pound sirloin steak
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 cups broccoli florets, chopped
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup liquid aminos (or soy sauce)
- Optional: 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Slice the sirloin steak against the grain into strips.
- Add the beef strips to a large bowl and pour in salt and 1 tablespoon arrowroot starch. Shake the bowl to mix the ingredients and until the beef is well coated.
- Heat the sesame oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add the beef, and stir-fry for about 4 minutes (or until desired) Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Return the heat to medium low and add the garlic to the skillet or wok. Cook for 1 minute but don't let it burn.
- Add the water and the broccoli and return to medium-high heat. Continue cooking the broccoli for 4 to 5 minutes until the broccoli is bright green and tender.
- While the broccoli is cooking, mix the remaining arrowroot starch, vegetable broth, and soy sauce in a small dish. Whisk together well.
- Add the beef and soy sauce mixture back to the skillet or wok with the broccoli.
- Cook the entire mixture an additional 1 to 2 minutes, until the sauce thickens.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve with steamed brown or cauliflower rice.