Blackened Tempeh with Avocado, Kale, and Vegan Cajun Ranch
Hard not to eat healthy when tempeh tastes like this. You'll be addicted after the first bite!
Prep time: 20 minutes Cook time: 20 minutes
Great source of… ✓ Healthy fats ✓ Manganese ✓ Protein ✓ Fiber ✓ Potassium ✓ Vitamins A, C, E, K, B6
- 1 block tempeh
- 2–3 tbsp Cajun Spice (store bought or see tip for making your own)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4–5 leaves of lacinato kale, stems removed (or use 3 cups pre-shredded kale)
- Pinch salt
- 1/4 lemon (for lemon zest)
- 4 radishes, sliced or ribboned
- 1 scallion, sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/4 cup pickled onions (optional)
- Cajun Vegan Ranch Dressing (Primal Kitchen brand recommended)
- 1/3 cup vegan ranch dressing
- 1/2 –1 tsp cajun spice blend
- Stir cajun spice into dressing (conservatively). Taste, and add more if desired.
- Add tempeh (whole) to a sauté pan of salted water. Let simmer for 8-10 minutes. Remove and slice into 1/2 inch wide slices and coat each side with cajun spices.
- Return to pan and sear tempeh in a little oil, until crispy & heated through. Set aside.
- Stack kale (removing any thick stems) and cut in to thin ribbons. Place in bowl and add 1-2 teaspoons olive oil, a pinch of salt, and lemon zest. Massage with fingers until tender.
- Add radishes, scallion, pickled onion, and avocado to bowl. Toss with Vegan Ranch dressing (enough to coat).
- Divide salad among bowls or place in a warm tortilla, topped with tempeh. Enjoy!
- This recipe is super flexible! Make it into a salad, wrap or a "hearty" bowl over warm quinoa, black rice, or cauliflower rice!
- Make enough for leftovers. This salad is hearty enough that it will taste great the next day.
- Optional add-ons: sprouts or micro greens, cooked quinoa, large whole wheat tortillas, sauerkraut.
- Don't have cajun spice? Make your own! 1 tsp paprika + 1 tsp garlic powder + 1/2 tsp black pepper + 1/2 tsp onion powder + 1/2 tsp oregano + 1/2 tsp cayenne + 1/4 dried thyme