Crispy Baked Falafel
Extra crispy and packed with fresh herbs and spices!
Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 25 minutes
Great source of… ✓ Protein ✓ Carbohydrates ✓ Manganese ✓ Folate ✓ Fiber ✓ Vitamins C, K
- 1 cup uncooked chickpeas, soaked 24 hours, drained, rinsed, and patted dry
- 1/2 cup chopped shallot or yellow onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup cilantro leaves and stems (chopped, patted dry)
- 1 cup parsley leaves and stems (chopped, patted dry)
- 1 tbsp olive oil (plus more for drizzling)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large food processor, add chickpeas, shallot, garlic, lemon zest, cumin, coriander, salt, cayenne, baking powder, cilantro, parsley, and olive oil. Pulse until well combined but not pureed.
- Take 2 tbsp scoops of the mixture and use hands to make 12-15 thick patties.
- Place patties on baking sheet and drizzle olive oil.
- Bake for 14 minutes. Flip and bake for 10-12 more minutes (or until golden brown and crisp on outside). During last few minutes of baking, wrap pita in foil and warm in oven.
- Assemble pitas with hummus, diced veggies, falafel, herbs, pickled red onions, and a drizzle of tahini. Enjoy!
- Canned chickpeas cannot be substituted in recipe or falafel will turn out mushy.
- Don't pack patties too tight or falafel will be dense.
- If the patties don't hold together, give the mixture a few more pulses in the food processor.
- Optional additions: Pita bread, hummus, diced veggies (tomato, cucumber), fresh herbs, chopped parsley, fresh mint, pickled red onions, tahini