Curry-Spiced Sweet Potato & Wild Rice Burgers
Vegan-friendly patties bursting with flavor!
Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 1 hour Serves: 6
Great source of…
✓ Fiber ✓ Protein ✓ Manganese ✓ Potassium ✓ Folate ✓ Vitamins A, C, B6
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1/2 cup uncooked wild rice blend
- 1 - 15 oz can chickpeas (rinsed and drained)
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1/3-1/2 cup gluten-free breadcrumbs or oat flour
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries (unsweetened)
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- Optional: 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Poke sweet potato with fork several times. Then place potato on small pan lined with foil. Bake in oven for 30-45 minutes (until fork tender).
- While sweet potato is cooking, cook wild rice. In a medium saucepan, add 1 cup water and wild rice. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 30-40 minutes (or until tender).
- Skin the cooked sweet potato and add to a large bowl with chickpeas. Mash with a fork or potato masher.
- Stir in cooked wild rice, curry powder, cumin, and garlic powder. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in breadcrumbs or oat flour, cranberries, and pecans (if using).
- Using your hands, form into 6 round patties.
- Heat coconut oil over medium heat in a large pan. Once oil is hot, add patties and cook for 7-9 minutes. Then carefully flip & cook for an additional 7-9 minutes (add more oil if necessary).
- Add to a salad or lettuce wraps. Enjoy!
- Use a food processor to mash sweet potato and chickpeas.
- Chill the mixture for 10-20 minutes. t's easier to shape & cook patties when their chilled so putting in the fridge beforehand is recommended!
- For extra fiber, add avocado, arugula, and/or red onion.