Hearty Sweet Potato and Lentil Chili
A hearty immune-boosting soup, ideal for meal prepping!
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 35 minutes Serves: 6
Great source of…
✓ Fiber ✓ Protein ✓ Iron ✓ Folate ✓ Potassium ✓ Healthy fats ✓ Vitamins K, B1, B9, B6, A and C
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 3 large carrots
- 2 cups kale, chopped
- 1/2 lemon
- 5 garlic cloves
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 5 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- Dash of black pepper
- Chop sweet potato (cubes), onion, carrots and kale (stems removed) and slice or crush garlic.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion, sweet potato and carrots and cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add garlic, cumin, turmeric and rosemary and cook for 30 seconds.
- Drain diced tomatoes and add to pot, cooking for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently
- Add lentils, vegetable broth and water plus 1 tsp salt and black pepper to taste
- Raise heat and bring soup to a boil, then cover pot with lid and reduce heat to simmer. Cook for 35 minutes or until sweet potatoes are fork tender.
- Add chopped kale and cook for 5 more minutes
- Finish with lemon juice and serve!
- Store leftovers in fridge for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months