How to Strengthen Your Immunity During COVID-19
Eating healthy reduces your vulnerability to respiratory illness because micronutrients (AKA vitamins and minerals!) work to support your immune function. And with COVID-19 impacting the world’s day-to-day, it’s more important than ever to focus on your health and boost your immune system.
Here are 5 immune-boosting tips from our team of Wellory Nutritionists to start implementing today.
- Eat the rainbow. To boost your health, focus on creating colorful plant-based plates rich in micronutrients. Aim to combine at least three different colors of fruits and vegetables at every meal. -Nyssa, Wellory Nutritionist
- Don't skimp on zinc. Your immune cells are dependent on an adequate supply of zinc. Zinc paired with eating a nutrient-dense diet lowers your risk for pneumonia and other infections. Eat sources like beans, seeds, nuts, eggs and whole grains alongside vegetables and fruits to keep your immune system strong. (Just don’t overdo it! Too much zinc can actually lower your immunity, so stick to 40mg per day or less.) -Jen, Wellory Nutritionist
- Load up on sources of Vitamin C. Most of us know that vitamin C boosts our immunity—and it’s true! Vitamin C helps produce more white blood cells that fight viruses and infections. A lack of vitamin C can actually make you more prone to getting sick. Eat vitamin C every day to keep your immunity strong from sources like bell peppers, spinach, kale, broccoli, strawberries, oranges and grapefruits. -Kelsey, Wellory Nutritionist
- Cook with garlic! It tastes great and contains compounds that boost your body’s disease-fighting response when you’re hit with a virus. Just be sure to slice or crush your garlic and let it sit for 10 minutes before you cook it—this releases the immune-boosting compounds. -Rachel, Wellory Nutritionist
- Eat your B6. Your body needs vitamin B6 to make immune system cells. Eat foods like chicken, cold, salmon, tuna, green vegetables and chickpeas to get your B6! -Paige, Wellory Nutritionist
Eating right is one of the most powerful things you can do to improve your mood, lower stress, and reduce your vulnerability to viruses. That’s why our team of Wellory Nutritionists is offering free 1-on-1 support to anyone who has a question about eating well in today's climate.
Text COVID19 to 69922 for free 1-on-1 support.