Spicy Miso Portobello Mushroom Burger
Flavorful, vegan-friendly burger that will keep you satisfied for hours!
Prep time: 25 minutes Cook time: 10 minutes
Great source of…
✓ Healthy fats ✓ Carbohydrates ✓ Protein ✓ Fiber ✓ Vitamins B, C, K
- 2 large portobello mushrooms
- 2 whole wheat buns, grilled
- 1 tbsp Miso (any color)
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tbsp sriracha
- Pinch of salt and pepper
Cucumber and Carrot Slaw
- 2 cucumbers, thinly sliced into ribbons (use a mandolin)
- 1 1/2 cups matchstick or grate carrots (see tip)
- 1 scallion
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- 1/2 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- 1 extra large avocado, cubed
- 1 tsp finely chopped ginger
- 1 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper
- Pinch of chili flakes and sesame seeds
- Preheat grill.
- In a small bowl, using fork or mini whisk, mix miso, sriracha, sesame oil, and a pinch of salt & pepper. Brush onto both sides of portobello mushrooms.
- Using mandolin or veggie peeler, cut cucumber into long, thin ribbons. Place in medium bowl and add scallions & dressing ingredients. Gently toss.
- Make carrot slaw the same way. Place in a small bowl, toss with dressing ingredients.
- Make Asian Guacamole: place all guacamole ingredients in small bowl. Mash and stir until creamy and combined. Sprinkle with sesame and chili flakes.
- Grill portobellos (top sides down first) for 4-5 minutes over medium heat (until juicy and tender). Flip and grill for a few more minutes. Grill buns.
- Assemble burgers: spread buns with guacamole, place portobello (gills side up), and mound with cucumber ribbon and carrot salad. Add squeeze of sriracha and optional pickled ginger. Use remaining guacamole on bun tops, and top burgers.
- Eat immediately! :)
- Don't have a mandolin or veggie peeler? Simply slice cucumbers into very thin slices
- For a lighter meal, serve open-faced (no bun).
- For matchstick carrots, peel carrots and cut into approx. 8cm lengths. Trim 1 side and turn to lie flat. Cut 1 trimmed carrot piece lengthways into 4mm thick slices. Arrange the carrot slices in a stack. Carefully slice the carrot stack lengthways into matchsticks. Repeat with the remaining carrot pieces.