Tomato Mint Summer Salad
A classic summer dish highlighting sweet cherry tomatoes, feta, and mint.
It’s perfect as a vegetarian main course, with the protein-rich grains, or as a side dish.
- 1 cup farro
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pint of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 cups of arugula
- ½ cup of crumbled feta
- ¼ cup of chopped mint leaves
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Prepare buckwheat groats or farro according to package directions
- Allow the grains to cool after cooking.
- While grains are cooking, combine lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Add the buckwheat or farro to the vinaigrette and combine.
- Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
- Add arugula, tomatoes, mint
- Toss to combine.
- Add crumbled feta on top and lightly toss before serving.
Health Benefits of Tomatoes: Tomatoes are one of the best sources of lycopene, a carotenoid and phytonutrient that gives a tomato a deep red color. Generally, the riper (and redder) a tomato, the more lycopene it has. Studies have shown that lycopene can be effective in cancer prevention, and in lowering your blood pressure, cholesterol, and oxidative stress levels
Tomatoes are also known for their antioxidants (zeta-carotene, phytoene and phytofluene) that have anti-inflammatory properties. They are an excellent source of vitamin C, which boosts immunity and elasticity in our skin.
Finally, they are great sources of beta-carotene and alpha-carotene, which the body converts into vitamin A (promotes healthy vision, skin, and hair!)