Vegan Sabich Sandwich
A twist on the traditional Israeli sandwich. Stuffed with chickpeas, potatoes & more!
Prep time: 30 minutes Cook time: 15 minutes Serves: 4
Great source of…
✓ Protein ✓ Carbohydrates ✓ Healthy fats ✓ Fiber ✓ Vitamins A, C
- 1 young medium eggplant
- Pinch sea salt
- 2 medium firm potatoes, peeled and boiled
- 1/2 cup canned white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp vegan mayonnaise
- 1/4 tsp harissa paste (more if your like it hotter)
- 3 whole dill pickles
- 4 pita bread pockets
- 1/2 cup hummus
- 1/2 cup tabbouleh salad
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Chop eggplant into 1cm cubes.
- Heat olive oil (around 2 tbsp) in a small fry pan.
- Add sea salt to eggplant and place in pan on low-medium heat. Cook for around 8 minutes (until slightly creamy but still holding it's shape).
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Slice boiled potatoes into 1/2 cm thick slices.
- In a small bowl, combine white beans, mayonnaise, and harissa paste.
- Slice dill pickles vertically, around 1/2 cm thick.
- Assemble sandwiches: lay pitas out on a board or plate. Smear hummus onto each pita. Cover half of pita with a layer of sliced potato then lay sliced pickle over the potato (using a whole pickle per sandwich).
- Spoon 2 tbsp white bean mix onto the pickle followed by 2-3 tbsp cooked eggplant.
- Add 2 tbsp of tabbouleh and enjoy!